Molly's Friendship Quilt

 


Molly is a wonderful friend who let me stay with her in San Francisco while I had a contract teaching job at the Academy of Art. A fellow lover of art, fashion, fabric, plants and cinema. We often found ourselves sitting on her back steps or on her couch, shooting the shit and enjoying our time together. 

We were both in transitional periods of our lives, and she generously humored my need to rearrange and organize the living space! She had cleaned out and gifted me some of her amazing fabric scraps, collected in her days of working at the iconic Britex, so it of course made sense to show my gratitude by using that exact fabric to make her a quilt, to keep her warm in that drafty SF apartment. 

I divided the fabric into a spring side and a fall side, used a simple improvised strip method for piecing, and hand quilted it all on her coffee table, often while watching fantasy sci Fi and documentaries with her. This quilt is full of fond memories and the love that is often specific to female friendships.

Popular Posts

Image

Full Circle